In our latest Careers Corner, our team of qualified Careers Advisers offer their best pieces of careers advice for those thinking about and planning their next step.
- Be prepared to grab unexpected opportunities
- Be open to other people’s advice and opinions
- Reflect on who you know and how they can help you in your next step
- Keep your options open for as long as possible
- You will likely have more than one career – what matters is what you learn in each
- Be nice to everyone you meet – you never know what role they might play in your life!
- Decisions you make now are not always for life – there are always alternative routes and options
- Have a plan B and C in case things change unexpectedly for you
- Start with what you enjoy and what you are good at
- If you are made redundant, remember it is the job not YOU that has been made redundant
- Create a mood board of things you’d like in your life
- Keep learning and updating your skills through short courses and volunteering
- Tailor your CV to each job application and keep your CV and LinkedIn profile up-to-date
- Find things you love outside of work to help keep some perspective
- Get to know your learning style
If you know someone aged 15-24 who could benefit from some extra support as they consider their next steps through education or into employment, we’re here to help. Through the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Region of Learning, we can offer free support to young people in the region. To find out more about what we can offer, and to get in touch, click here.